Georgia Division Proposal to Implement Heritage Tourism:
Heritage Tourism Provides:
- A centralized theme that defines the Park.
- A historical experience of stepping back in time by implementing living history attractions.
- Strong interaction between park guests and actors with a focus on Education.
Goals by Implementing Heritage Tourism:
- Embrace what makes Stone Mountain unique as a Memorial to the Confederacy.
- Improve park experience by providing a more centralized and immersive historical focus
- Make education a primary objective by interactive living history and entertainment functions
- Increase Revenue and Attendance.
- Maintain the statutory purpose of the Memorial Park.
- C.G.A. Section 12-3-191 (7) states that everything at Stone Mountain and property adjacent is a Confederate Memorial and public recreational area.
- C.G.A. Section 12-3-192.1 states the purpose of the Park is “[t]o maintain an appropriate and suitable memorial for the Confederacy”.
- C.G.A. Section 50-3-1 defines the function of a memorial “dedicated to, honors…the military service of…military personnel of …the Confederate States of America.”
- Webster’s Dictionary defines honor as “esteem due or paid to worth; high estimation; respect; consideration; reverence; veneration; manifestation of respect or reverence.”
Please send media inquiries to email@example.com.